Tuesday, February 27, 2007

 

Travel Fatigue

It's 4:28am CST, and I'm in a hotel in Plano, Texas. I really wish I could get my body back on a normal sleep rhythm. You see, I travel alot and the last few weeks have been particularly challenging. I've been on business trips for the last 9 weeks. I've mainly been traveling to California, but I have also been to Boston, Dallas, and of course Thailand.

The jet lag from Thailand was pretty bad. I got home late on Monday night, and Wednesday morning was on my way to California. Just enough time to kiss the kids and to do some laundry. I woke up at the strangest times, and found myself dying for sleep around 8pm. One night, I awoke and was completely disoriented. I've heard about that happening to people, but had never experienced it. I was looking around for my wife, convinced that she was here, but having no idea where "here" was. It was like that feeling you get when a word is on the tip of your tongue, but you can't remember it. That was me trying to tell myself exactly where I was at that moment.

That Friday, I returned home, but took a very unconventional route.

I flew from San Jose to Portland, then Portland to Seattle, then Seattle to Vancouver. Then, finally I took the red eye back from Vancouver to Toronto. There was a good reason for the stop overs (work stuff), but it was certainly a "thrill" going through airport security 4 times in one day.

So today I'm in Plano, and Wednesday I head to Austin, then home on Thursday. I just learned that I have to fly back out to Plano early next week. Great!

The one trip I'm really looking forward to starts March 8. We're all going to Disney World! I've never been (and neither have our kids) so there's much excitement and anticipation.

Anyhow, I've been Executive Platinum for 7 years, and almost always fly AA. I'm also Platinum with Hyatt, Starwood and Gold with Marriott. I look forward to the day when I don't have that status.

Well, I'm going to try and get to sleep. Today will be a busy day.

mJm

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]